Avani Lekhara Biography
AVANI LEKHARA born on 8th November 2001 is an Indian Para-Shooter. Avani is currently ranked World No.5 for the women’s standing 10m Air-Rifle in the SH1 category (athletes with upper or lower limb impairment compete). She has won a gold medal and a bronze at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics in 10m and 50 m standing air rifle. Grabbing a medal at the Paralympics, she has become India’s first woman to bag a gold medal and the first woman to clinch multiple medals at the Paralympics. Avani aged 20, has manifested everyone with her achievements despite facing immobility in lower limbs (Paraplegia).
|Full Name||Avani Lekhara|
|Birthplace||Jaipur, Rajasthan, India|
|Date of Birth||8th November 2001|
|Age||20 years (as per 2021)|
|Parent||Praveen Lekhara (father) Shweta Lekhra (mother)|
Let’s dive deep into Avani Lekhara’s life and talk about Avani Lekhara’s Biography.
Avani Lekhara Biography: EARLY LIFE
Avani was born in the “Pink City” Jaipur of Rajasthan, India in a financially wealthy family to Praveen Lekhara (father) and Shweta Lekhara (mother). At the age of 11, she was involved in a car accident that severely injured her spinal cord which resulted in the paralysis of body parts below the waist. She was a scholar student in her school and studied at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Jaipur. Avani is currently perusing a degree in Law at the University Of Rajasthan, Jaipur.
Suffering an accident at a small age, she faced severe mental agony for not being able to live a life like a normal girl dancing and enjoying her moments without any social gauging. She left all her hopes after the accident but soon started practicing sports on the recommendation of her father. At starting, she practiced archery but was not self-satisfied so shifted to shooting.
In 2015, she joined the Jagatpura Sports Complex in Jaipur to train shooting professionally getting inspired by Abhinav Bindra who is a former Olympian Shooter. Her shooting skills were improved in a short period. With just a year of experience, she completely mastered the sport and started participating and winning medals in national tournaments, and also played many international championships.
Avani Lekhara came under talks after bagging a silver medal at the 2017 Al Ain Para Shooting World Cup which was held in United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Avani Lekhara Biography: CAREER
- In 2015, she secured gold at the 2015 National Shooting Championship representing the state, Rajasthan.
- Avani made her first astonishing appearance at the 2017 Al Ain Para Shooting World Cup. In the tournament, she clinched a silver medal in the Women’s 10m Air Rifle in the SH1 category.
- In the same year, she bagged silver at the 2017 Dubai Paralympic Championships in Women’s 10m Air Rifle in the SH1 category.
- After some months, she was fortunate to grab a bronze medal in Bangkok at the 2017 WSPS World Cup.
- At the 2018 World Shooting Para Sport World Cup, she had a mind-blowing performance securing three gold medals in different events. She grabbed medals in 10m Rifle, Prone, and 3 Position events.
- In 2019, she was fortunate to grab three gold medals and bronze in a single championship. This feat was achieved at the 63rd National Shooting Championship which was held in Bhopal, India in 2019.
- XIX Kumar Surendra Singh Memorial Shooting Championship, she grabbed a total of four medals including 3 gold and 1 silver in 10m Rifle. The championship was held in New Delhi, India in 2019.
- In the same year, she grabbed international attention after winning silver at the 2019 WSPS World Cup held in Osijek, Croatia.
- Her astonishing international wins helped her get selected in the TOPS scheme of the Indian Government and represent the country at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics in R8 Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions SH1, R3 Mixed 10m Air Rifle Prone SH1, and in the R6 Mixed 50m Air Rifle Prone SH1 event.
- In 2021, she won silver at the Al Ain WSPS World Cup.
Avani Lekhara Biography: PARALYMPICS 2020
- Avani had an astonishing performance throughout the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics clinching gold and bronze for the country.
- At the Paralympics, Avani bagged a gold medal in the Women’s 10m Air Rifle Standing SH1 and bronze in the Women’s 50m Air Rifle 3 Positions SH1.
- She secured the gold medal scoring a World Record of 249.6 points defeating a Chinese Shooter, Zhang Cuiping in the finals.
- Avani set records of being the first Indian women shooter to confirm gold for the country and the first woman to grab multiple medals in the Paralympics.
Avani Lekhara Biography: FAMILY
- Avani was born in a financially wealthy family of Jaipur to Praveen Lekhara (father) and Shweta Lekhara (mother).
- Both of her parents were government servants working as the state’s tax officers.
- She has a younger brother named Arnav Lekhara.
Avani Lekhara Biography: WIFE AND KIDS
Avani Lekhara Biography: AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2015 National Shooting Championship – Gold.
- 2017 Al Ain Para Shooting World Cup – Silver.
- 2017 Dubai Paralympic Championships – Silver.
- 2017 WSPS World Cup (Bangkok) – Bronze.
- 2018 World Shooting Para Sport World Cup – Gold (10m, Prone, and 3 Position events).
- 63rd National Shooting Championship in 2019 – 3 Gold, 1 Bronze.
- XIX Kumar Surendra Singh Memorial Shooting Championship 2019 – 3 Gold, 1 Silver.
- 2019 WSPS World Cup – Silver.
- 2021 Al Ain WSPS World Cup – Silver.
Avani Lekhara Biography: RECORDS
- She is ranked World No.5 for the women’s standing 10m Air-Rifle in the SH1 category.
- First Indian woman shooter to secure gold at Paralympics.
- First Indian woman to grab more than one medal at Paralympics.
Avani Lekhara Biography: SOCIAL MEDIA
- Instagram – @avani.lekhara.
- Twitter – @AvaniLekhara.
An interaction with our champions, who brought back pride and glory from Tokyo! Watch the interesting interaction with our para-athletes at 11 AM tomorrow, 12th September. pic.twitter.com/1H47I0ZFKq— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 11, 2021