Mirabai Chanu Biography: Saikhom Mirabai Chanu, born on 8 August 1994, is an Indian professional weightlifter belonging to Manipur, Imphal. She became famous and inspirational for many teenagers around the globe after winning Tokyo Olympics 2020 held in 2021. Her weightlifting career started at 11 after winning the gold medal at a local weightlifting competition. She got under consideration after winning medals at both World and Asian Junior Championship. Saikhom Mirabai Chanu is greatly inspired by Kunjarani Devi (former Indian weightlifter).
|Full name||Saikhom Mirabai Chanu|
|Age||29 years(as per 2023)|
|Date of Birth||8 August 1994|
|Parent||Saikhom Kriti Meitei (Father) Saikhom Ongbi Tombi Leima (Mother)|
Let’s dive deep into Mirabai Chanu’s life and talk about Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Biography.
Mirabai Chanu Biography: Early Life
Mirabai Chanu was born on 8th August 1994 in Nongpok Kakching, Imphal East, Manipur in a Hindu family to Saikhom Kriti Meitei (father) and Saikhom Ongbi Tombi Leima (mother). In her childhood, she used to pick firewood with her siblings.
At the age of 10, she carried a massive bundle of firewood which was even tough for her brother to pick. Her strength was easily noticeable to her parents. At the age of 11, she won her first gold medal in a local weightlifting competition.
Mirabai Chanu Biography: Career
- Mirabai Chanu is greatly inspired by Kunjarani Devi (former Indian weightlifter).
- At the age of 11, she won her first gold medal in a local weightlifting competition.
- She started professional training in weightlifting at the Khuman Lampak Sports Complex in 2008, 44km from her village.
- Mirabai participated in World and Asian Junior Championship in 2011, where she won medals in both the competition and was soon recognized for her skills.
- She was awarded best weight lifter at the Junior National Championship in 2013 in Guwahati, India.
- In 2014, she assured a silver medal in the 48kg category by lifting a total of 170 kg at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.
- She was designated as a Senior Ticket Collector in 2015 for the Indian Railways.
- She was qualified in the 48kg category for Rio Olympics in 2016, where she was not successful in accomplishing any medal for India.
- In 2017, she brought a gold medal for India after 22 years of struggle by lifting a total of 195kg in the 48kg category during the World Weightlifting Championship in Anaheim, USA. She missed the wedding of her sister to the competition.
- She broke the previous 175kg set by lifting 196kg in total in the 48kg category representing at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- She suffered from a lower back injury in 2018, which did not allow her to compete in any competitions. Still, in 2019 she made an epic comeback at the World Championship in Thailand, where she was not successful in winning any medal, but for the first time in her career, she crossed the mark of 200kg.
- Mirabai brought a silver medal for India in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics by lifting 202kg in the 49kg weight category. She became the 2nd weightlifter to get an Olympic medal in India after Karnam Malleswari.
- Chanu earned a gold medal in the 49 kg weight class at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham, England. She lifted 201 kg total in snatch, clean, and jerk.
Mirabai Chanu Biography: Olympic 2020
Mirabai Chanu won the silver medal in the Olympics 2020 in the weightlifting 49 kgs category.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Biography: Family
- Mirabai Chanu was born ina Hindu family to Saikhom Kriti Meitei (father) and Saikhom Ongbi Tombi Leima (mother).
- Her father used to work at the Public Works Department, and her mother was a shopkeeper.
- She is the sixth and the youngest child in the family.
- Mirabai Chanu has a brother named Saikhom Sanatomba Meitei and sister’s named Saikhom Rangita and Saikhom Shaya.
Mirabai Chanu Biography: Controversies
- Recently, Tisca Chopra congratulated Mirbai after winning a silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics 2021 with the wrong picture. Tisca was criticized for doing so.
- In the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Chinese weightlifter and gold medalist Zhihui Huo will be tested by anti-doping authorities. Mirabai Chanu stands a chance to get a medal upgrade, from silver to gold medal, if she tests positive.
Mirabai Chanu Biography: Awards and Achievements
- She was felicitated with prize money of Rupees 2 million by the Chief Minister of Manipur N.Biren Singh.
- Padma Shri – 2018.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna – 2018.
Mirabai Chanu Biography: Social Media