Pramod Bhagat Biography: Pramod Bhagat born on 4th June 1988 is an Indian Para-Shuttler. Ranked as the World No.1 on the top of scoreboards in para-badminton for the SL3 (event in which shuttlers with lower limp impairment compete) category, he is the most admired and finest para-shuttler in the world at present. Despite being Polio diagnosed, Pramod has shown his skills and the cupidity in winning medals in different tournaments for the country turning his major adversity into his energy.
|Attabira, Bargarh, Odhisa, India
|Date of Birth
|4th June 1988
|35 years (as per 2023)
|Kailash Bhagat (father) Kusum Devi (mother)
Let’s dive deep into Pramod Bhagat’s life and talk about Pramod Bhagat’s Biography.
Pramod Bhagat Biography: EARLY LIFE
Pramod was born in a remote-backward village, Attabira of Bargarh district in Odhisa, India to financially backward parents Kailash Bhagat (father) and Kusum Devi (mother). He was diagnosed with Polio at the age of 5 which led to a defect in his left leg. Pramod faced many problems from his childhood and often visited his brothers repairing shop to spend some interesting time.
He was fascinated by athletes competing in a badminton tournament. He was astonished by the sport and at the age of 13, he finally decided to pursue and train for the sport professionally. At his career’s early phase, he used to practice badminton for numerous hours throughout the day and competed with other physically normal players and even was fortunate in winning district competitions against them.
That was the moment, which motivated him to compete at higher levels in para-badminton. Soon, he started winning many medals in state and district competitions which made him gain a lot of importance in his locality.
It was his parents, who played a major role in always motivating and never judging him on the thinking of society. He further trained under the guidance of S.P Das and Gaurav Khanna who helped Pramod in shaping his further career and skills.
Pramod Bhagat Biography: CAREER
- Despite being Polio diagnosed, he started training the badminton sport from the age of 15. He would practice daily with the utmost effort.
- In his early phase, he played in district tournaments defeating physically-abled shuttlers.
- Pramod came under talks after winning gold in the SL3 doubles event at the 2013 BWF Para-Badminton Championship with Manoj Sarkar conquering Taku Hiroi and Toshiaki Suenaga, the para-shuttlers of Japan.
- In the consecutive year, he bagged a bronze medal at the 2014 Asian Games.
- At the 2014 Para-Badminton Championship, he grabbed bronze for the country in the tournament in the men’s singles SL3 event.
- In the consecutive year, Pramod was fortunate in winning gold at the 2015 BWF Para-Badminton Championship in men’s singles SL3 event and a bronze in men’s doubles SL3 event with Tarun Dhillon.
- In 2016, Pramod grabbed two bronze medals in the men’s singles and doubles SL3 event at the 2016 Asian Para-Badminton Championship.
- He won a bronze medal at the 2017 BWF Para-Badminton Championship which was held in December in Usan, South Korea.
- In 2018, he won gold medals in both men’s singles and doubles defeating Nitish Kumar in the finals at the 2018 Para-Badminton Championships held in Dubai.
- In the same year, he was fortunate in grabbing 3 gold, one silver, and one bronze in different international tournaments.
- The year 2019 was one of the most successful phases in Pramod’s life securing 12 medals in various international events and was honored by India’s 2nd highest sporting award, the Arjuna Award for his astonishing medal-winning performance on the global level.
Pramod Bhagat Biography: PARALYMPICS 2020
- Pramod had an astonishing performance throughout the 2020 Paralympics and was fortunate in grabbing gold for the country. Manoj Sarkar, along with Pramod secured a bronze medal consequently defeating Daisuke Fujihara of Japan.
- Pramod conquered Daniel Bethell, a shuttler of Great Britain, in the finals of the Paralympics making the whole country proud and securing the country’s first-ever gold at any Paralympics.
Pramod Bhagat Biography: Family
- Pramod was born in a poor family to Kailash Bhagat (father) and Kusum Devi (mother).
- He has 5 brothers and sisters.
Pramod Bhagat Biography: WIFE AND KIDS
Pramod Bhagat Biography: AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Arjuna Award – 2019.
- Biju Patnaik Sports Award Odhisa – 2019.
- Pramod has secured a total of 43 medals of which 23 are secured in international tournaments.
- 2007 RYLA International Challenger Tournament – Gold ( singles and doubles)
- 2009 Asian Para Games – Silver in singles and Gold in doubles.
- 2009 IBAD Seven Luck World Championship – Gold in singles.
- 2014 Asian Para Games – Bronze in singles.
- 2015 BWF Para-Badminton World Championship – Gold in singles and Silver in doubles.
- 2016 Asian Para-Badminton Championship 2016 – Bronze (singles and doubles)
- 2018 Asian Para Games – Gold in singles and Bronze in doubles.
- 2018 Thailand Para-Badminton International Tournament – Gold in singles.
- 2018 Australia Para-Badminton International Tournament – Gold in singles and Silver in doubles.
Pramod Bhagat Biography: RECORDS
- Ranked as the World No.1 Para-Badminton Player.
- 1st Indian to secure gold at Paralympics.
Pramod Bhagat Biography: SOCIAL MEDIA
- Instagram – @pramod.bhagat8.
- Twitter – @PramodBhagat83.
THANK YOU INDIA??— Pramod Bhagat (@PramodBhagat83) September 7, 2021
Ye medal har ek Indian ka hai jo sapne dekhta hai. Main tahe dil se Central government, meri Odisha government aur Humare Prime minister Modi ji ko dhanyavad kehta hoon. Ye jeet har us insan ki hai jisne mujhe support kiya hai.
Jai Hind ?? pic.twitter.com/WK7FZYfixd