Sharad Kumar Biography
SHARAD KUMAR born on 28th June 1995 is an erstwhile World No. 1 Indian Para-Athlete who competes in the T42 category (athletes with below /above knee amputation/impairment or impaired muscle power) for High Jump. He was selected in the TOPS scheme under the Indian Government to represent the contingent along with 54 athletes at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics and has secured a bronze medal in the men’s high jump T42 event. Despite an impaired muscle power of the left leg, he has manifested and influenced everyone with his dedication and cupidity to bag medals internationally.
|Full Name||Sharad Kumar|
|Birthplace||Muzaffarpur, bihar, India|
|Date of Birth||1st March 1992|
|Age||29 years (as per 2021)|
|Parent||Surendra Kumar (father) Kumkum Devi(mother)|
Let’s dive deep into Sharad Kumar’s life and talk about Sharad Kumar’s Biography.
Sharad Kumar Biography: EARLY LIFE
Sharad was born in a middle-class family to Surendra Kumar (father) and Kumkum Devi (mother) of Muzaffarpur city in Bihar, India. He studied at the St. Paul’s School in Darjeeling from where; his engrossment for high jump was immensely paved. He later shifted to Delhi to pursue further professional training and completed his graduation in Political Science from Kirori Mal College.
At the age of 2, Sharad was given erroneous medicines for Polio which resulted in a paralysis attack in his left leg. After the attack, he lost mobility of his leg and impaired muscle power. But Sharad never leaned back with his disability rather he pushed himself to train sports. He was introduced to the high jump sport at the age of 7 and his engrossment in the sport escalated in few months. During his school life, he competed in many district and inter-school tournaments for high jump against able-bodies.
He dedicatedly decided to pursue high jump as a carer getting inspired by his school’s senior athletes but was reprobated by his school’s sports coach. So, he enrolled his name at a different school which motivated and encouraged sports enthusiasts. Representing the school, he played many nationals and was fortunate to grab medals for him.
He made his first international mark at the Asian Games of 2010 held in Guangzhou, China.
Sharad Kumar Biography: CAREER
- He made his debut at the 2010 Asian Games and had the best performance but was unfortunate to grab any medal.
- Later in 2012, he jumped a measure of 1.64m to get qualified for the 2012 London Paralympics.
- He was ranked World No. 1 after clearing the bar of 1.75m at the 2012 Malaysian Open Para Athletics Championships.
- The year 2012 was the most disturbing phase in his life. He was banned for two consecutive years from all tournaments and championships after testing positive for a drug during the Paralympics.
- It was the most miserable phase in his career.
- He made his revival in 2014 at the Asian Para Games. In the championship, he jumped a measure of 1.80m setting a new Asian Para Games record after 12 years becoming the World No. 1 in the T42 category of high jump.
- In the championship, he bagged a gold medal in the men’s high jump T42 category.
- His astonishing performance helped him get selected for the 2016 Rio Paralympics but was ranked 6th on the scoreboards.
- Later in 2017, he bagged a silver medal at the 2017 World Para Athletics Championships in the men’s high jump T42 category with a jump of 1.84m.
- The next year, he had an impressive performance at the 2018 Asian Para Games jumping a measure of 1.90m, 0.10m greater than the jump at the previous Asian Games. For his astonishing jump of 1.90m, he acquired another gold medal on his neck.
- Later he shifted to Ukraine to acquire high-skilled performance from international coaches under the TOPS scheme of the Indian Government and for practicing to represent the Indian contingent at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics.
- He faced many problems with no training facility and financially in Ukraine when the whole world was trying to fight the pandemic.
Sharad Kumar Biography: PARALYMPICS 2020
- Sharad had an astonishing performance throughout the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics clinching bronze for the country.
- Sharad Kumar clinched a bronze medal with a jump of 1.83m in the final representation at the Paralympics in the men’s high jump T42 category.
- His teammate Mariyappan Thangavelu clinched a silver medal in the same category at the Paralympics.
Sharad Kumar Biography: FAMILY
- Sharad was born in a middle-class family to Surendra Kumar (father) and Kumkum Devi (mother).
- His father is a local businessman and his mother is a housewife.
- He has an elder brother but his name is not specified.
Sharad Kumar Biography: WIFE AND KIDS
Sharad Kumar Biography: AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2014 Asian Para Games (South Korea) – Gold.
- 2017 World Para Athletics Championships – Silver.
- 2018 Asian Para Games (Indonesia) – Gold.
- 2020 Tokyo Paralympics – Bronze.
Sharad Kumar Biography: RECORDS
- In 2012, he was ranked World No. 1 after clearing a bar of 1.75m.
- In 2014, he jumped a measure of 1.80m breaking a 12-year record of Asian Para Games.
- Later in 2018, he again scored a new Asian Games record of 1.90m jump.
Sharad Kumar Biography: SOCIAL MEDIA
- Instagram – @sharad_kumar01.
- Twitter – @sharad_kumar01.