Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography
SUNDAR SINGH GURJAR born on 1st January 1996 is an Indian Para-Javelin Thrower, Shot Put player, and Discuss-Thrower. He competes in the F46 category (Athletes suffering from amputation above or below elbow compete in this category). Sundar is the most dedicated and highly skilled para-athlete with a lean body which enables him to have extreme flexibility. He has achieved his recognition countrywide after winning a bronze at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics in the men’s javelin throw event of the F46 category with a throw of 64.1m.
|Full Name||Sundar Singh Gurjar|
|Birthplace||Hindaun, Karauli, Rajasthan, India|
|Date of Birth||1st January 1996|
|Age||25 years (as per 2021)|
|Parent||Kaalia Devi (mother)|
|Sport||Para-Javelin Throw, Shot Put, Discuss-Throw|
Let’s dive deep into Sundar Singh Gurjar’s life and talk about Sundar Singh Gurjar’s Biography.
Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography: EARLY LIFE
Sundar was born in Hinduan city in Karauli district of Rajasthan, India in a sport blood family to Kaalia Devi (mother) and his father being a former desi wrestler. He was never an academic student from school and even bunked his college lectures. But in 2012, he took up wrestling seriously and urged his college sports coach to train him.
Sundar took a shift from his village to Jaipur to train his further wrestling career and lived in a sports hostel. While competing in a wrestling tournament, he was advised by one of the coaches to take a shift from the sport to athletics. On the coach’s behalf, he started training for Javelin Throw in which his lean body played a major role in providing him sufficient flexibility.
At his career’s starting phase, he played the sport in the general category and was fortunate in winning many state and district tournaments, but later in 2015, he faced a life-changing setback. His wrist was gashed severely which resulted in the amputation of his wrist. The incident occurred, while Sundar along with one of his friends was working on a heavy-weight metal sheet, and accidentally it fell on his wrist.
After this incident, Sundar was demotivated and thought that his dream to win gold at the Olympics will not be full-filled. Some months later, he met Coach R.D Singh who motivated and told him to focus on his career further in para-sports. He shifted to Hanumangarh, Rajasthan to train under Coach R.D Singh for Paralympics. His first international recognition came at the 2017 Fazza IPC Athletics Grand Prix winning three gold medals in various events.
Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography: CAREER
- Sundar made his first astonishing appearance at the 2017 Fazza IPC Athletics Grand Prix which was held in Dubai winning three gold medals in various events. In the tournament, he achieved gold medals in Javelin-Throw in the F46 category, Discuss-Throw in T44-46, and Shot Put in the T44-46 category.
- At the 2017 World Para-Athletics Championships, he won gold in the F46 category of Javelin Throw with a throw of 60.36m. This gold helped him become the 2nd Indian athlete to win gold at the tournament.
- In the 2018 Asian Para Games held in Indonesia, he was fortunate to grab a silver medal in the Javelin F46 category and bronze in the Discuss-Throw F46 category.
- In the starting month of 2019, Sundar faced a severe shoulder injury which forced him to stay at home and have rest to soon recover from the injury.
- Soon, he copes up with the injury and made his epic comeback at the 2019 World Para-Athletics Championships clinching a gold medal for the country and scoring the season’s best throw of 61.22m.
- During the lockdown, Sundar faced many problems like no training facility and no proper diet.
- But he soon managed to contact the state’s Sports Minister and allow the athletes to practice at the stadium and live in a sports hostel.
- In 2021, he was qualified to represent India at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics.
Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography: PARALYMPICS 2020
- Sundar was qualified to represent India at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- He was qualified to represent India in the men’s javelin throw F46 event.
- At the Paralympics, Sundar impressed every Indian by clinching the country’s second javelin medal at Paralympics with a bronze medal.
- His partner, Devendra Jhajharia was fortunate and grabbed a silver medal at the Paralympics.
Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography: FAMILY
- Sundar was born in a farming family to Kaalia Devi (mother).
Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography: WIFE AND KIDS
Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography: AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2017 Fazza IPC Athletics Grand Prix – Gold in Javelin Throw F46 category, Discuss-Throw in T44-46 and Shot Put in T44-46 category.
- 2017 World Para-Athletics Championships – Gold in Javelin F46 category.
- 2018 Asian Para Games – Silver in Javelin F46 category.
- 2019 World Para-Athletics Championships – Gold in Javelin F46 category.
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics – Bronze in Javelin F46 category.
Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography: RECORDS
Sundar Singh Gurjar Biography: SOCIAL MEDIA
- Instagram – @sundar_olympian.
- Twitter – @SundarSGurjar.
What a day it was….my hard work is paid off.Thank you government of India for giving us so much appreciation.@KirenRijiju @ianuragthakur @PMOIndia @DeepaAthlete @Media_SAI @ParalympicIndia @ashokgehlot51 @AshokChandnaINC @DGSAI @deepnarayan pic.twitter.com/bG7fJT9yCT— Sundar Singh Gurjar (@SundarSGurjar) September 8, 2021